Home/Children of Vets & Birth Defects



VA recognizes link between spina bifida and service in Korea and Vietnam

Children with spina bifida, who are the biological offspring of Vietnam War era veterans, may be eligible for a full range of VA benefits. If you’ve been denied benefits for your child, Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban is prepared to help. We understand the importance of giving your child proper care, and we’re ready to fight for the benefits they deserve. Our attorneys have more than 100 years of combined legal experience. We understand the VA system, its rules and procedures, and we do what it takes to get positive results.

VA benefits for veterans’ children with birth defects

Children with spina bifida and certain other birth defects may qualify for a variety of benefits, including:

  • Compensation — A monthly monetary allowance based on the child’s degree of disability
  • Healthcare benefits — Treatment for ailments related to the birth defect
  • Vocational training — Up to 24 months of training, rehabilitation and job assistance

To apply for benefits, you must complete the VA Form 21-0304, Application for Benefits for Certain Children with Disabilities born of Vietnam and Certain Korea Service Veterans.

How to establish your child’s eligibility for benefits

Eligibility for these benefits depends on several factors. The child must have a birth defect that results in permanent physical or mental disability. To obtain benefits for spina bifida, the child’s biological parent must be a veteran with qualifying service in Vietnam or Korea while Agent Orange was in use, including:

  • In Vietnam from January 9, 1962 through May 7, 1975
  • In or near the Korean demilitarized zone (DMZ) between April 1, 1968 and August 31, 1971
  • In or near the DMZ between September 1, 1967 and August 31, 1971, with proof of exposure to herbicides
  • Blue Water duty with service on Vietnamese soil, on inland waterways or with exposure to herbicides

Female veterans who give birth to children with birth defects may file a claim for their child if:

  • The mother served in Vietnam from February 28, 1961 and ending on May 7, 1975
  • The child was conceived after the veteran entered Vietnam during the qualifying service

If you are applying for benefits or appealing a denial, put an experienced VA benefits attorney in your corner.

Veterans’ Disability Benefits Claim Denied?

We represent clients nationwide. Call 866-866-VETS

Veterans’ Disability Benefits Claim Denied?

We represent clients nationwide.
Call 866-866-VETS

Veterans who have questions about a medical condition should contact the VA for further information. If you have been denied VA benefits or were assigned a disability rating that is insufficient, Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban can effectively manage your appeal without any upfront legal fees.

Contact a veterans’ benefits law firm that cares about disabled children

If your child was born with a disabling birth defect, Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban may be able to help you secure a variety of VA benefits. Wherever you are across the country, our knowledge and experience is at your disposal. You pay no fees for our services unless we win your claim for benefits. Call us today at 866-866-VETS or contact us online.